We advocate for and defend women's human rights by making grants to support women's groups in five regions: Sub-Saharan Africa, Middle East and North Africa, Europe and Central Asia, Asia Pacific and Latin America and the Caribbean. Since its inception in 1987, the Global Fund has granted over $100 million to more than 4,500 women's groups in 174 countries.
The Global Fund for Women supports a wide range of women’s groups working to build peace and end gender-based violence, advance health and sexual and reproductive rights, ensure economic and environmental justice, expand civic and political participation, increase access to education, and foster social change philanthropy.
How We Work
- We listen to the concerns of women and girls worldwide and trust them to design solutions that address the needs of their communities, regions and nations.
- We seed newly formed women-led initiatives that use innovative strategies to address complex issues that challenge systemic injustice.
- We strengthen the capacity of women's groups to sustain their own work and be more effective.
- We link women's groups, networks and coalitions to advance shared learning and build powerful movements for social change.
What Makes Us Unique
- Accessibility: women’s groups from any part of the world may write to us in any language and in any format.
- Global Expertise: our board and advisory council include local activists who know the realities facing women and the operational challenges for women's rights organizations.
- Flexible Grants for General Operating Support: general support grants allow groups to seize opportunities, respond to crises, and strengthen the capacity of their organizations.
- Building Local Philanthropy: we invest in local women's funds to promote social change philanthropy and increase funding for women's rights globally.