At Global Fund for Women UK, our vision is a world where every woman and girl is strong, safe, powerful, and heard. No exceptions. We are a global champion for the rights of women and girls, using grant-making and advocacy to propel global movements for women’s rights.
Founded over 30 years ago in San Francisco, Global Fund for Women is one of the world’s leading charities for gender equality. Since 1987, we’ve helped win rights for millions of women and girls through grants to nearly 5,000 women-led groups across 175 countries. Despite this legacy, we now see threats to women’s rights accelerating globally; and women’s, girls’ and LGBTQI organisations are experiencing increasing restrictions, erosions in their funding, escalations in violence and challenges in protecting gains they had won. In response to this, Global Fund for Women has taken the bold decision to expand its influencing and resource mobilisation ambitions to the UK.
Global Fund for Women UK is a UK registered charity, governed by an independent Board of Trustees. We have recently recruited our first UK Director and we’re now seeking to fill the critical board position of Honorary Trustee.
This is a pivotal role for us. As we move from creation to start-up and activation, we need someone with proven business and financial acumen; ambition and entrepreneurial spirit; and a commitment to women’s human rights.
This means we’re looking for more than someone who’ll be responsible for ensuring we function within the legal and financial requirements of a UK charity. We need someone with energy and commitment; a toolkit of financial and business skills and experience; and the drive to join a board with ambition to amplify issues and catalyse resources to support the worldwide struggle for gender equality.
Skills, qualities & attributes
- Qualified Accountant or similar experience
- Strong and proven finance management experience
- Strong commercial and business experience
- Fully conversant with accounting procedures and legislation
- Strong experience of financial strategy and financial modelling
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Proven experience of providing first-class financial reporting, monitoring and analysis
- A willingness to help shape the Global Fund for Women UK and support its team to realise the organisation’s ambition
- A keen interest in supporting grassroots change and women’s movements
- Oversee and present quarterly budgets, accounts and financial statements to the UK Board
- Ensure the UK Board is kept informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Chair the finance, risk and audit sub-committee
- Ensure that the appropriate financial controls and processes are in place
- Ensure that record keeping and accounts meet or exceed the conditions of funders and statutory bodies
- Ensure compliance with regulatory legislation and best practice
- Advise on financial implications of organisation’s strategic and operational plans and provide financial counsel to the UK Director
- Present regular reports on the organisation’s financial position
- Prepare annual accounts for audit and submission to the Charity Commission; liaising with accountants and auditors as required
- Manage the bank account and authorise transactions along with Chair of Trustees
- Ensure required insurances are in place
- Liaise, as required with the Finance Committee of our sister organisation in San Francisco
- To act at all times in the best interests of Global Fund for Women UK
- Knowledge of Charity SORP
- Previous not for profit board level experience
The Global Fund for Women UK is an equal opportunity employer. We enthusiastically encourage applications from people of colour, bilingual and bicultural individuals, trans people and other members of the LBTQI communities. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law.
More about Global Fund for Women
We believe in the power of women to change their lives—and the world around them—for the better. When women, girls, and trans people organise and join together, they can create the lasting shifts in power, opportunity, laws, and culture that are necessary to achieve gender equality.
Global Fund for Women stands with movements for women’s human rights all over the world. Here are the pillars of our unique approach to supporting movements for women’s human rights:
- Our global network of over 2,000 advisors and partners – this network helps us find, fund, and strengthen groups who work with the most marginalized women in the world.
- Flexible, “core-support” funding – this flexible funding allows groups to choose how best to spend their grants.
- Multi-year funding – we give multi-year grants as often as possible, so that our grantee partners can plan for the long-term.
- Partnerships with other women’s funds – we work closely with sister local and regional women’s funds, since they understand their communities, can reach smaller, emerging groups, and encourage local people to support and fund women’s rights.
- Amplifying voices – together with our partners, we shine a spotlight on urgent issues, ensuring women’s and girls’ perspectives and solutions are heard loud and clear. We share voices that have been silenced to inspire and activate new advocates and donors.
- Movement strengthening – movements become powerful by organising marginalised people with a shared political agenda, so that they can take action collectively for advancing human rights and addressing inequalities.
Please submit a CV and supporting statement to Rebecca Hanshaw, UK Director at email@example.com by 5pm on Monday, 14th January 2019
To arrange an informal chat with Radhika Bynon, Chair – Global Fund for Women UK – please contact Rebecca Hanshaw at firstname.lastname@example.org